Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Berry Challenge!

Taking a plant under my wing was an interesting task to handle. There has only been one other time where I had to take care of a plant on my own (a vegetable garden) and I did not pay that much attention to it. My strawberry though, was a different story. I placed it in a, area on the side of my house that receives sunlight for most of the day. At the beginning, it was very easy to take care of because of the frequent rains of the spring, but it has gotten increasingly difficult as of late. With the work load kicking up,and me not getting home until 7 o'clock, I had trouble remembering to water the plant. However, once the first bud popped up, I was determined to grow the plant into a fully developed plant that would match my grandmother's plant which yields about 10 berries per year.

Observations:
  • The plant is growing very fast
  • It looks like something's eating it...
  • There are new leaves almost every day
  • New buds are popping up almost daily
  • It looks like the plant is dying. Leaves are turning red, and a bud looks dead too
  • Why are leaves dying
  • More leaves dying, this doesn't make sense!
  • I'm watering well, not too often, not too far between
  • My first strawberry is finally here, how long will it take?
  • Berry from green -> white
  • The berry is getting red from the bottom up
  • Almost all the way ripe!
  • The berries are pretty good, do they taste better when the plant is older?

No comments:

Post a Comment